Camp Crittenden (1867-1873) was named for Colonel Thomas L. Crittenden, who commanded the 32nd Infantry at the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, and Chickamauga during the Civil War.
The fort was established on August 10, 1867. Located at the head of Davidson Canyon, just west of present-day Sonoita, Arizona, Camp Crittenden was built adjacent to the site of Fort Buchanan.
Camp Date Creek (1867-1874) was first established as Camp McPherson in January, 1867. The camp was a temporary post and its purpose was to guard the road between Prescott and La Paz, Arizona.
Unlike many Arizona forts, Camp McPherson was situated in a an area of beauty, with meadows and tall grasses along a creek called Date Creek, because of the abundance of yucca, or wild dates, in the area.
Camp Hualapai (1869-1873) was first known as Camp Toll Gate. This post was established in May, 1869, just southeast of Aztec Pass on William H. Hardy’s toll road between Prescott and Hardyville (which eventually developed into Bullhead City.)
In 1870, it was taken over by the military to protect the road from Indian attacks, but the troops abandoned the camp in 1873.