Fort Bowie (Arizona)
Located in the southeast corner of Arizona, Fort Bowie National Historic Site commemorates the story of the bitter conflict between the Chiricahua Apache and the United States military.
It also stands as a lasting monument to the bravery and endurance of U.S. soldiers in paving the way for westward settlement and the taming of the western frontier. …Fort Bowie (Arizona)»»
Fort Buchanan (Arizona)
Fort Buchanan (1856-61) was built to supplement a number of other military posts established in the territory acquired from Mexico in 1848.
Fort Buchanan was the first within the bounds of the Gadsden Purchase (1853). First founded as Camp Moore, but renamed Fort Buchanan in honor of President James Buchanan, the post protected settlers and stages from Chiricahua Apaches. …Fort Buchanan (Arizona)»»
Fort Breckinridge (Arizona)
Fort Breckinridge (Old Camp Grant) (1860-1872) was the second military post to be established in the area of the Gadsden Purchase.
Troops from the first Fort Buchanan built it in May, 1860 at the confluence of the San Pedro River and Aravaipa Creek. Its purpose was to protect area settlers and emigrants against hostile Indians. …Fort Breckinridge (Arizona)»»
Fort Apache (Arizona)
From its founding in 1870 until Geronimo’s capture in 1886, Fort Apache was regularly involved in the Indian Wars of the area.
It was first called Camp Ord, in honor of General O.C. Ord, Commander of Arizona when it was built in the spring; however, just a few months later, the name was changed to Camp Mogollon in August, then Camp Thomas in September. …Fort Apache (Arizona)»»
Camp Hualapai (Arizona)
Camp Hualapai (1869-1873) was first known as Camp Toll Gate. This post was established in May, 1869, just southeast of Aztec Pass on William H. Hardy’s toll road between Prescott and Hardyville (which eventually developed into Bullhead City.)
In 1870, it was taken over by the military to protect the road from Indian attacks, but the troops abandoned the camp in 1873. …Camp Hualapai (Arizona)»»
Camp Date Creek (Arizona)
Camp Date Creek (1867-1874) was first established as Camp McPherson in January, 1867. The camp was a temporary post and its purpose was to guard the road between Prescott and La Paz, Arizona.
Unlike many Arizona forts, Camp McPherson was situated in a an area of beauty, with meadows and tall grasses along a creek called Date Creek, because of the abundance of yucca, or wild dates, in the area. …Camp Date Creek (Arizona)»»